Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I wanna CHAI to make some SALSA

For those of you in the mood for a little spice in your life I want to share my two favorite recipes of the moment.

First: Salsa, I use a blender.

15 roma tomatoes (40 oz processed)
1 large! yellow onion
3 habanero peppers (red, yellow, and green)
4 serrano peppers
cilantro (you know about a handful)
several cloves of garlic
a palm of salt (about a tbs.?)
blend
chill (best to let it steep in the fridge for a day or so to get those flavors right)
eat

And then the slightly more complicated Chai from scratch (also known as Masala Chai, or even milk tea. (beats the coffee shop.))

For 4 people:

maybe 6 cups of water
add 6-10 green cardamon pods (mortared and pestaled)
1-2 sticks o cinnamon (m&p'ed)
10 pepper corns (m&p... you get the picture)
6-8 cloves (..."")
simmer for a long while, maybe 20-25 minutes

Black Tea- 2 bags (any black tea, sometimes I even use black chai tea (it has more spices))

you can boil it at this point black tea is not as sensitive as green tea (THANKS Melody!)

After the concoction becomes a dark (amber reddish) color you can pull the tea bags and add your white liquid (I like whole milk but usually use soy milk (silk) for my lady,) until the whole things blends to a brownish dirty white color.

Bring to a boil but catch it right before it boils over.
turn on low, add brown sugar (you be the judge, I usually add more than I think is needed,) and ginger (about a half inch thinly sliced, ginger does not do well in a boil, it blanches out the flavor.) More ginger is better if you are feeling sick (same with peppercorn.) Sometimes I leave the ginger out.

Taste, if it doesn't taste right, add white liquid (milk/silk) and sugar.

This will taste mild right out of the pan but turns out great in a small cup.

Serve to friends, put in a thermos or save some in the fridge for later. You probably want to take the spices out or they will steep and change the flavor.

I have a saucepan with a strainer in the lid to help with the spice extraction, my friend Melody just eats the spices in the bottom of the cup. Do it big.


Peace and Love


Mike

2 comments:

Unknown said...

respect. :)

sounds like you've perfected it - now come make this shizzle in oz!

April - Apryl Knight / The Traveling Austin Vegan said...

Thanks so much for the awesome recipes! They sound delicious! Do you mind if I mention them on my food blog? ( http://thetravelingaustinvegan.blogspot.com )

Rosie looks great, by the way. I love the custom shelving and the kitchen. My guy is fixing up a small trailer which will be our home for a couple of years, and your blog is a great inspiration!